Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Eagles

The Eagles' "Hotel California" just came on Radio Paradise. Like so many songs from the seventies and eighties, there's a bit of nostalgia that comes up--like bile, frankly. I remember thinking tracks like this were great until I started expanding my tastes and horizons in college, and until I became jaded enough to know that The Eagles were simply music biz inventions like so many other groups. Granted the version playing is a live acoustic recording, but its fidelity to the original is impressive. One thing is clear: their greatest talent is the ability to play that song (and the other hits) exactly the same way night after night. And to get thousands of cheering fans to sing along and pay lots of money to see the same thing.

I'm going to cut over to The National now. Time to cleanse the palate.