Monday, September 15, 2008

ouch

From the NYT headlines just now:

Investors, nervous over the fates of A.I.G., Merrill Lynch and Lehman Brothers, sent the Dow Jones average down 4.4 percent or 504.48 points.


Guess I'll have a couple beers before I check my retirement accounts this evening. On the other hand, maybe this is the time to diversify a bit.

*******

And then from another article in the Times comes this gem of a lede:

After more than six months in triple-digit territory, oil prices dropped sharply on Monday, falling under the symbolic $100-a-barrel threshold as financial woes raised concerns about a slowing economy and slackening oil demand.


Remind me again... how many months have we heard rumblings about "a slowing economy"?

Speaking from this end of the food chain, it certainly seems like we're in deep, deep trouble.