Sunday, July 20, 2008

forest hill market, this week

So, thanks to some friends and neighbors, I barely made it to the market this week. It was boiling hot, and the mojitos from the night made for a woozy wake-up. The little bit of fruit and yogurt before leaving certainly didn't cut it, and I had to give in to the urge to try some of the barbecue sold at the market.

There are two such vendors. One is a guy who has a fairly serious tent and truck set up, complete with a generator to run everything. He sold North Carolina-style. The other pitmaster pulls a large smoker behind a gray volvo wagon, circa 1990. He made Texas-style, which should prick the ears of any BBQ-loving NPR listeners. Despite a gift of the gab, he kept the line moving and recognized repeat customers. After a taste of his brisket and a sausage, I can report that it was some of the best barbecue I've tasted. Next week, I'll have to try more—my apologies to my vegetarian/vegan friends.

In the meantime, the market report this week is as follows...
  • coffee beans
  • yard-long beans , which are purple
  • sweet red peppers
  • four kinds of tomatoes
  • cucumbers
  • cantalope
  • basil (and the pesto is already made)
  • shiitake mushrooms
  • blueberries (close to the end of the season for these)
  • chorizo
  • peaches
  • gnocchi
  • rosemary and onion focaccia (tasty, but a bit dry)


The only regret? I should have bought butter.