Thursday, June 12, 2008

night terrors

Or something very much like that. And growing pains.

I was continuing the random elements of life--laundry, Bushmills, scribbling out ideas for a project at work, dishes, and so forth--when I heard a loud "No!" come from Banana's room. She was tossing and saying "No" over and over again. I woke her after a few minutes, deciding it was better to break whatever dream she was having, and got her up to go to the bathroom. I figured she would want to go to my bed afterwards--a habit we've mostly broken now--and wanted to avoid the possibility of potty accidents.

When she climbed into my bed, she started crying again. I asked what was wrong, and she held her leg and said, "It just hurts."

"Oh, you're having growing pains," I said.

"I don't like growing and having pains," she said with every bit of the attitude you'd expect from a little girl woken up in the middle of the night by achy shins. Then she rolled over and went back to sleep.

Fun stuff, this solo parent thing.