Thursday, April 03, 2008

changes

I gave notice at the university today. It was surprisingly nerve-wracking and difficult. So much so that the pain in my stomach doubled me over at times. I dreaded telling my staff, and just the thought was enough to turn my stomach again as I was discussing it with my boss. Beyond that, I am dealing the frustration that I'm jumping ship right in the middle of major projects, major projects that were my signature accomplishments over the past three and a half years. Regardless, change is a good thing. In this case, change will bring more money and a chance to get out of the managerial/bureaucratic line for a while. It will also bring a return to advertising and marketing.

This blog started a few weeks before I joined the university in 2004. I wrote very occasionally on it until last year, after the shooting. Since then, it has become a more regular fixture of my weeks. My plan is to continue to refine and focus it as I shift gears into the next chapter of life in Richmond.

Richmond, a.k.a. the smallest city in the world.


*********

In the background, Bowie's "Heroes" is playing. Old pool teammates may remember that I always played it on the juke box during my matches.