Monday, April 30, 2007

Spring Beers pt. 2

Today's selections were to test two different white beers, or wit biers.

1. Southampton Double White Ale from Southampton Publick House [Note: hopefully you'll have better luck getting the site to come up.]
This is a decent beer. That's about the best I can say. The coriander and orange peel are evident, but overall the beer lacks much to distinguish it. If you're in the mood for a white beer, I'd pick up Allagash instead, or one of the several other good ones that appear around this time of year.

2. Victory Whirlwind Witbier from Victory Brewing in Pennsylvania
I really like Victory's beers, in general. Their Prima Pils is killer, as is the Golden Monkey. That said, I wanted to like Whirlwind more than I did. It was a good example of a wit, but it didn't really jump out the way I expected a Victory beer to do. This one has won awards in the past; maybe this was just a down year.

Down night for beer. Maybe I'll open an Erdinger or Bell's to cleanse the meh-ness.