Saturday, August 11, 2007

Life-hacking efficiency

This post on Lifehacker made me stop and think about my frustration with feeling productive or efficient enough in my day-to-day life, whether at home or at work. To wit, I never feel like I have enough time to do the things I need to do, taking a couple of days to relax often means all hell breaks loose, and I'm always staring down a list that is longer than I can manage. I have battled this for months now by trying to figure out how I can become efficient enough to manage life at home and at work, while also making time for Banana and time for myself. And it never works.

It seems simple enough to say that I am overextended. Somehow, though, I have seen all the expectations as manageable--if I could only figure out the perfect answer/tool/whatever. But the reality is perfectly encapsulated by this:
My problem wasn't that I was insufficiently efficient. The problem was that I was way too overextended. I had taken on more than even a very efficient person could handle. Efficiency is great, but it can only get you so far.


End of story. I can't say it any better.

And now, with Banana off to visit mommy's family for the next week or so, I'm going to try to balance some efficiency with some relaxation. At least a little bit.