Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Byrd House Market, Week 4

Starting at the beginning of May, we had a new farmers market open in Richmond. Opened in Oregon Hill (made semi-famous by the Cowboy Junkies), the market runs on Tuesday afternoons. Unlike the other marketin Richmond, this one actually seems focused on growers and is scheduled at a more convenient time for people who work. It also has the benefit of being in a neighborhood that defies easy description. Having a good, accessible farmers market has been important to me since the days I used to make special trips to farm stands outside Boston.

That said, this week's haul included
• Strawberries
• Blueberries
• Baby lettuces
• A chicken
• Green beans
• Cucumbers
• Asparagus

From last week, I still have
• Shiitakes
• Goat Cheese
• Italian sausage

Good stuff, though my one complaint would be that some of the prices are significantly higher than what I used to pay at the markets in New York and Fayetteville.